- Student Ramsha Midhat
- Code UG180487
- Faculty Architecture
- Unit L3 Studio Unit
- Tutor/s Sonal Sancheti,Ami Gokani
- TA Richa Surati
One of the disciples of Nizamuddin Auliya, Baba Lului’s tomb (mazaar) rests in Behrampura. Completed around 1560, the Baba Lavlavi Mosque needs to be regarded, remembered and re-activated. The proposal is to provide an extension to the tomb of the Baba, inviting people from various parts of the city and perhaps the country, making it like a place of pilgrimage (dargah).
Closely associated with it would be a khanqah, a place for gatherings of Sufi brotherhood, spiritual retreat and character reformation, catering to those in need of food, water, shelter or spiritual guidance. A centre for faith, it would come under the domain of people of the settlement next to the mosque, providing them employment and a sense of purpose and ownership but also call upon volunteers, to facilitate its functioning. A community kitchen in this place would ensure that no one would leave the hospice hungry. Dying languages which bridge gaps and bring together communities would also be taught here. The idea of teaching and learning would further extend to training in the field of music. Music could serve as a means to reach the divinity through focus on the performative and ritualistic aspect of Islam.